Moi

My photo
Chicago, IL
22 year old RN. I work in neuroscience, everything head and up. (brain trauma, bleeds, strokes, aneurysms, brain tumors, etc). Married to the man of my dreams. Head over heels in love with Chicago. I enjoy causing trouble and stirring up interest. & in my spare time, I hang out with homeless people...and do arts and crafts.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wow.

So Alex and I are not sharing this news via facebook yet, cause that would simply go viral. However, on my small tiny blog, which seems more like a private journal than anything...I will share the news.

A little over a week ago, Alex and I found out we are having a baby.

This was so shocking in many ways. First of all, obviously it was not planned. In fact, I had not planned on having children until well into my 30's!

But there are other reasons this is truly shocking.
1. I don't have periods. (blunt, i know). But I have severe endometriosis and I take continuous birth control so I do not get periods at all. So how alex and I could have ever conceived a child is beyond me, him, and the Doctors.

2. My endometriosis has been severe for many years and the scar tissue has built up on my uterus. I have had three different gynocoligests tell me that if I ever want to have a baby, I will either need a lot of surgery, fertility treatments, or a mixture of both.

How we found out:
There was no period to miss. I don't get them! But Last week, I had a long dream which felt very real. In it, I found out I was pregnant. It was the scariest dream ever and sorta my worst nightmare being a new bride and all. So I woke up, rushed to the nearest drug store and bought a cheap pregnancy test. Alex didn't even take it seriously because neither of us that it would ever actually be positive. But there it was, it took about half a second for the plus sign to appear. I showed alex, we were both so shocked in disbelief, i ran to the drugstore to buy a nicer one. That one was also positive, in which I fell to the bathroom floor in tears for hours.


Later that day alex and i went to a free clinic where they did a DR. pregnancy test. It was positive, and I just about freaked out. The scheduled an ultrasound for two days later to see how far it was. We got the ultrasound and actually SAW the baby. It was itty bitty and didn't look like a baby, but we could actually see it's heart beating. I found out then I was nearly SEVEN WEEKS.

Today I am eight weeks pregnant and alex and I are getting used to everything. It's so shocking still and Alex is taking it a hundred times better than me. Our parents and families know and are super excited. My mother in law and sister in law came over today and presented me with a little gift that I magneted to the fridge right over our first ultrasound. It says "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." I thought this was so true. Although wanted to get my doctorate, travel, and spend many years child-less with Alex. God has different plans. And there is no doubt in my mind that this child is a miracle. We welcome God's plan with open arms as we await a brand new chapter in life.

I just ask that anyone who happens to stumble upon this little post would keep this information off of facebook for a few more months. :) thanks.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Very happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Sweet Sweet Rae, how exciting!!! I completely understand being really apprehensive about it especially being newly-wed and all(I thought I was pregnant and I was just getting used to the idea when I found out it was a false positive. What a miracle baby! I'll be praying for you, Alex and the new baby!
    I miss you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow is right! That's one for the books. Alex must be related to Sampson or something...strong swimmers.

    We love you guys and will keep your new family in our prayers.

    Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhh!! I heard this through the grapevine. This is so crazy, and exciting! I'm coming home for christmas, I want to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dearest, dearest, Rae. I just cried. not out of sadness but out of joy and enticipation of what this will bring for you!! words can't be said online that do this justice.. So be expecting a phone call soon. I love you. and Praise God for this miracle he has performed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!!! What a crazy story Rae. I am very excited for you- I think you will make a wonderful mom. Your kid will have way too much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so amazing - I cannot be happier for you.

    ReplyDelete